An occupational therapist (OT) works with individuals who have any kind of functional impairment. This might be due to the ageing process or a disability (whether physical, cognitive or developmental). OTs are concerned with how individuals manage everyday activities such as:
- Self care (bathing, dressing, feeding, and toileting);
- Productivity (meal preparation, shopping, washing);
- Leisure (playing cards, reading, lawn bowls);
- Work (paid or voluntary employment).
OTs assess their client’s functional ability in activities of daily living within their home, work, school and community environments and focus on developing and maintaining the individual skills necessary to carry out these activities.
Our OT services
3Bridges provides a range of occupational therapy services with recommendations tailored to meet your specific needs. This might include any or all of the following:
Comprehensive functional assessments
3Bridges can provide a thorough assessment to evaluate your ability to perform everyday functional tasks such as dressing, showering, meal preparation. Assessments are conducted in your preferred environment (home, retirement village, workplace, aged care facility).
3Bridges offers a full range of services, including:
- Major modifications to improve access and independence (such as kitchens, bathrooms, ramps and lifts).
- Minor modifications (such as grab rails, wedge ramps, handrails and step modifications).
As a major modification provider for southern and south-east Sydney, 3Bridges can ensure seamless in-house services from recommendations and quoting through to completion of building works by our qualified tradesmen.
Equipment prescription and provision
Having the right equipment can help you to maintain or improve your functional independence and reduce the risk of falls.
We can help you with everything from complex wheelchairs, seating and pressure relieving devices, palliative care and every day living aids as well as manual handling equipment.
At 3Bridges, we have a comprehensive range of equipment. Please arrange an appointment to visit our showroom and meet with our occupational therapist who can recommend the most appropriate equipment for your needs.
We will follow up with funding bodies if eligible and liaise with other reputable equipment companies as necessary. All installation and training in the use of the recommended equipment will be provided to you.
Home safety assessments
This service aims to reduce your risk of falls while assessing your ability to complete functional tasks safely and independently in your home environment.
Work health and safety
- Provision of carer education and training
- Recommendations for completion of care plans with service providers
- Manual handling risk assessments for clients and carers
- Education and training to service providers
Training and education
- WH&S to service providers
- Manual handling
- Falls prevention
- Health promotion topics (such as joint protection for people living with arthritis; energy conservation techniques)
- Wheelchairs (manual and electric)
- Aged care seating (such as recliner chairs and orthopaedic chairs)
- Housing NSW for environmental modifications, priority housing and housing transfer reports
- Enable NSW applications for equipment acquisition
- Reports to other funding bodies for equipment and environmental modifications as required
Chronic disease management
Medicare rebates are available for a maximum of five sessions per calendar year for eligible clients
Fees and Rebate
Prior to your initial consultation we will also discuss fees and possible rebates or subsidies with you over the phone. Medicare and private health fund rebates apply for eligible clients. You will need a referral from your GP to claim the Medicare rebate. With prior arrangement, invoices can be directed to a third party for clients accessing the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
Our occupational therapy service can accept referrals from:
- Medical specialists
- Health professionals
- Case managers
- General practitioners
- Self referrals
Please complete our online referral form and we will be in contact shortly to discuss your needs.